Dumpy B Communications Bunker - Dover - July 2018
The bunker at Langdon Hole was built in late 1942 as one of the joint operation headquarters at Dover’s two underground wireless outstations. The Dover headquarters was based in the Dumpy level tunnels at Dover Castle, and Langdon Hole was thus often referred to as “Dumpy B” (“Dumpy A” was at Long Hill).
The complex comprises a pair of parallel longer tunnels, the rearmost one originally containing the wireless station, while the foremost was for crew accommodation and everything else. These are linked by shorter link tunnels whose function is unknown, and there are additional spurs, the largest of which contained the generator that powered the plant and lighting.